Thursday, February 11, 2010

migraine from hell!

This migraine is going on Day 4. I have tried everything under the sun to ease my throbbing head/face... ice pack, heating pad, sleep, meditation, yoga, darkness, temple/forehead massage, caffeine, sugar and even tylenol.

It wasn't until I took 2 extra strength tylenol (1000mg) that I was finally allowed some relief today. But, the relief was short-lived to a dull ache throughout my day.

The good news is that I got to leave work early to go take a gardening teacher workshop at Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens called "What to Plant/What to Teach" so whereas most days I love being around my kids, it has been VERY hard the past few days because light and sound aggravates my migraine.

(I am in the process of building an edible garden as well as starting a compost bin at my school but that is a whole other blog...)

The teachers who have also been through the pregnancy thing at school say that migraines are often a symptom of pregnancy. UGH! I have never had a migraine in my life, but now I definitely have some compassion toward my brother who grew up with them.

I have my 12-week checkup tomorrow so I plan to talk to them about some different medications suitable for managing this type of pain because there isn't any way I can continue teaching 4-year-olds if these migraines are going to continue like this. Last night, I was up for 4 hours trying heating pads, ice packs, sleeping upright, etc. to get some sleep and nothing was working.

Again, I guess another way for me to get used to not having any sleep since that is something moms must get used to! (Even with migraines, I am looking at the positive side, I must be really ready for motherhood!)

I will post again tomorrow and let everyone know how our appointments go tomorrow!

Love,
your throbbing-head richmond rices.

No comments: