Sunday, February 21, 2010

finding a place to fit...

So... we are really jumping into our church community. As I have posted before, Rick has joined the contemporary service's band and really been enjoying himself. They seem to appreciate his musical talent!

To say that I am not a little bit jealous of Rick would be lying. I am definitely happy he has found a place that he fits but I have been feeling a little bit like I don't have my own. People at church know me as Rick's wife and I find myself introducing myself as "Erin, my husband plays the guitar in the band, Rice."

I have been trying to tune into God's voice, listening for where he would like me to be. The obvious place is to offer help with the children's sunday school. But I don't want to just pick something, I want it to be where I am supposed to be. Then, 2 weeks ago there was only 1 service due to the snow. And during the announcements part of the service, a lady stands up and asks if someone could help with the "young germy children". They are going to sing a few songs for Palm Sunday and need an adult to volunteer to lead them.

This was my chance to get involved! This might even help me see if I am called to help with the Sunday School, since I will get be able to get to know the children as well as their parents.

Today, I met with the choir director and it seems I will be leading the Kindergarteners as well as the first graders in their Palm Sunday Program!

Now maybe, in addition to being "Erin, Rick's wife..." or "Erin, my husband's in the band..." I will also be "Erin, she is wonderful with the children!"

We also signed up to help serve dinner one night when we host 40 CARITAS men at our church.

I am starting to feel like the more I involve myself in this church community, the more they will involve theirselves with us, a road that goes both ways, a road the is important to us as we start our family.

We hope this finds everybody happy, healthy and feeling as loved as we do on this gorgeous Sunday afternoon!

Love,
your God-lovin' richmond rices.

No comments: