Wednesday, February 17, 2010

lent: meal 1/13

If you know me, you know how much I hate raw meat. Raw chicken and hamburger really gross me out, which makes it quite difficult to cook. In fact, the one time I have cooked raw chicken I had to use a fork and knife to move it from the container to the pain because the though of touching that slimy, gooey meat (with the weird tough skin) REALLY grossed me out. So this is one of the many fears I hope to get rid of with my lenten commitment.

With that being said, I am not going to start on my first meal. In fact, I am going to save the meat for when I get a little more comfortable in the kitchen!

I have decided just to do 1 meal this week since technically, Lent begins halfway through the week, today to be exact.

For my first meal, I am going to keep it vegetarian (for the above reasons).

Fettuccine with Peas, Shallots and Herbs

I made this once before last Spring when Rick was working out of town. But to be honest, I remember skipping some steps and not following the recipe like I should, but I also remember it being pretty good as well! So, this seems like the perfect starting point.

I will be sure to let you know it turns out!

Love,
your cooking-crazed richmond rices.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

How exciting that you are conquering your cooking skills! I have some great quick recipes for meat when you are ready (invest in a pair a tongs if you don't have any. Then you can handle the meat with the tongs). Since this week is vegetarian, I have a great Pasta Shell Florentine and Easy Minestrone soup recipes for you. Winter is a great time to make soups, which are easy and usually meatless. Do you have a crock pot? Another way to possibly start something in the morning and dinner would be ready when you get home :-) That would be nice!

Pasta Shells Florentine
1 pkg 10oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed and well drained (I sqeeze the water out)
1 cup (4 oz) shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 cup fat free Breakstone's cottage cheese
1 egg white
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
16 Jumbo pasta shells cooked, drained
1 jar (13-14 oz) spaghetti sauce

Heat oven to 375, Mix spinach, mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, egg white, Parmesan cheese and nutmeg until blended. Fill each shell with a heaping tablespoon of spinach mixture. Place in 12 x 8 baking dish. Spoon sauce over shells. Cover with foil. Bake 30-40 minutes until thoroughly heated. Makes 4 servings


Easy Minestrone
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 medium carrots sliced
1 clove garlic
1 cup shredded cabbage
2 tablelspoons vegetable oil
1 can 16oz diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can 16oz white beans, undrained
2 cups water
3/4 tsp basil
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup elbow macaroni

Saute' onion, celery, and garlic in oil in large saucepan for ~3 minutes over medium heat. Stir in tomatoes, add water, cabbage, carrot, basil, bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper. Bring to boil. Turn down to simmer, cover and cook for 25 minutes. Add macaroni, Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stir in beans, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Serve when vegetables and macaroni are tender.

Enjoy, Lynn

Rick and Erin Rice said...

Lynn, you are wonderful! Thank you soooo much!