Sunday, February 8, 2009

what a happy day!

With the not-so-good economy, Rick struggling to make 40 hours a week and trying to focus time on his new excavation company, as well as Rick's birthday coming up (I'm planning something pretty awesome!) I have picked up a part-time nanny gig 2 nights a week as well as some babysitting on the weekends.

The child I nanny for, Jaden, is the son of a single mom who is in her last year at VCU before going to med-school. I hang out with him 2 nights a week while she is taking classes. She is awesome and so is he. They make a great family and I looove hanging out with Jaden. He is only 4 years old but definitely holds the "man of the household" role down, not to mention his idea of fun is playing games that teach him about his letters and numbers. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to handle nannying right after teaching 26 kids all day but I've actually really enjoyed the slower pace and more intimate teaching that I am able to do with Jaden.

With that said, it shouldn't come as a surprise that Rick and I realized the little bit of time we do get to spend together has been pretty lame as you probably saw from the last blog and our redundant schedule. So we have decided to mix things up a bit and add some new things to our schedules that our just for us.

A friend of a friend has been trying to bring us to his church for quite sometime and neither of us motivated ourselves to go check it out. It sounded like a place that would suit us but there was always some excuse. This morning we finally motivated to go and boy, was it worth it!

Rick and I both left church feeling very refreshed and alive!

The Commonwealth Chapel is a nondenominational church that is very motivated to giving back to the community, which we love. They do a lot of mission work within our community as well as around the world. The actual church is located about 7 blocks from our house, but because their Sunday service has grown so much they have it at the National, one of the newest music venues in Richmond which is quite awesome! We already love going to the National so it makes it even cooler to be able to worship there as well.

So, here begins a commitment that Rick and I have made to each other as well as to God to stay committed. And if this church ends up not being a good fit for us, finding one that is. We both felt so spiritually charged we decided it would be good for us as individuals, as a couple and in the preparation of having a family one day.

After church, we had some lunch and went to Maymont Park to enjoy the gorgeous weather. We had a lot of fun walking around and seeing all the final projects that have been under construction for quite some time. We are planning that some sort of outdoorsey walk/hike will be part of our Sunday routine. Perhaps as built-in time to reflect on our 1.5 hours at church, together and individually.

So.. we get back from our wonderful day and I am sifting through all of my neatly organized scrapbook/arts and crafts things (thanks to my fabulous husband) and I find some of my old journals. I haven't really journaled since Rick and I got engaged but it was pretty amazing to revisit my time in Denver, the writing workshop I attended in Big Sur, California, and our last few months before our big move to Oregon.

Maybe after I have read through all of them I will have much more to blog about! I bet there is a lot of speculation as to where Rick and I would be right now and I am very curious as to how accurate my thoughts were.

Maybe finding those journals was a sign to get back into it... so that I will have something to read in a few years to see again if my life speculations are how our life actually turns out! Who knows!

Well, I hope to start updating more often than every 2 weeks. I guess in Oregon I felt like the things we were doing were so much more relevant because there wasn't very many people to share in our experiences... I felt like our life was just so exciting! But I guess we did have many exciting things happening... Now we are just a boring married couple! :)

Hope this finds you all happy healthy and absorbing all the sunshine you can!

Love,
your spiritually-enriched richmond rices.

No comments: