Sunday, May 2, 2010

happy birthday camping!

Last year for my birthday, my parents got me a 2-night gift certificate to stay downtown at the Berkley Hotel. It was such a lovely weekend and extremely hard to top this year.

We made a pretty good stab at it with a completely different kind of vacation.

With Kiptopeake still closed from major repairs the entire off season, we had to find an alternative and fast! We didn't realize til last week they were still closed (originally they were supposed to reopen for the season April 1st).

So after lots of posts on facebook and many, many suggestions... we picked Sherando Lake just South of Waynesboro in the George Washington National Forest (thanks Ashby!). The bad news being they don't take reservations this early in the season. So we packed up the car, with directions to a couple of back-ups just in case and hoped we would find a place to have our 4-day camping excursion.

We had success! Arriving on Thursday turned out to be a blessing because by Saturday afternoon, every single spot was filled. Although it turned out to be a busy weekend at Sherando Lake, the way the campground is set up, it sure didn't feel that way!

Everyone told me I was crazy to go camping pregnant, but it turned out to not be such a disadvantage. My wonderful husband picked a tent site right across from the outhouse (shorter distance to pee) and didn't make me keep his pace when hiking up massive hills and long paths.

We had perfect weather, warm in the day and cool in the evening. I even got some serious sun-basking time on the lower lake beach while Rick fished. Lucky for me, we weren't relying on his fishing skills (or the fish's biting skills) to feed us... and had hamburgers, hot dogs, and the most delicious caribbean jerk chicken I have ever tasted!

We even ventured out into civilization Friday afternoon to have me a birthday sundae! I topped my birthday off with a few games of rummy (our camping tradition that I always seem to dominate) and even perfecting my marshmallow roasting skills on Rick's perfectly built campfire!

Last night, Cooper decided to cooperate and let his daddy feel his little baby feet kick for the first time. The only thing that could've made this weekend better is if we had brought Fletch. Next time, he will definitely not be left at home, although now that my 2nd trimester is coming to a close, I believe tent camping might have to wait until post-pregnancy (ie. it was VERY difficult getting my big behind out of the tent!)

Overall an amazing weekend! I got to put my toes in the sand, get some sunshine on my pasty skin AND eat ice cream & marshmallows all in the same day! I LOVE my life!

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure...

No comments: