Friday, August 5, 2011

Wouldn't change a thing!

Usually I am excited to go to the doctor. We find out how much Coop has grown and they often spend a solid 5 minutes of our 15 minute visit talking about how beautiful/handsome he is (which they probably say to all the moms but I believe it anyway!)
I don't even mind the shots so much now because Coop handles them like a champ and I know how important they are especially for a kid that catches EVERYTHING!
But the ENT is a different story. As you have read before, the throat scope is definitely heavy on the heart. I am not too proud to admit that I don't like to handle this on my own. Even with someone there to support me (usually my dad) I still have a hard time keeping it together.
But... today they skipped the scope! I couldn't have been happier. Even with my dad's muscles and the nurse's help, it is difficult to hold him down for the physically painless procedure and often times even more difficult to watch. I could've cried that we, Coop especially, didn't have to go through that once again.
I asked the doctor about the incessant cough that Coop has, even on his healthiest days. He thinks it might be linked to reflux so they are putting him on a daily medication that should help.
He also said that Cooper still has a significant amount of fluid in his ears which explains his regular ear infections. He is pretty sure Coop will get another one once cold season hits in which case he thinks tubes are the best choice.
When they first brought tubes up, I was fine but that was when I thought it was a procedure only requiring a local. Today the doctor said they would have to put him to sleep for the procedure. I'm pretty sure the doctor saw the sadness in my eyes because he was quick to tell me they do it all the time and not to worry.
I feel way more confident in our choice of doctor now that we have built a relationship with him. I am starting to feel like Dr. Brager remembers Cooper and his symptoms which makes me trust his opinions and the prognosis. We go back in 8 weeks unless an ear infection comes first. And we will cross those bridges when we get there.
Fingers remain crossed for some improvement in his stridor, because so far it seems pretty stagnate. The outlook is that at 12-18 months we should start hearing a difference (the window keeps getting extended...)
I have to admit, I am starting to get really sick of people assuming he is sick and congested. Honestly, I prefer you to ask why he sounds this way instead of giving me judgmental looks and pulling your own children away like he is a leper (you won't catch it I swear).
I said a long time ago that this would probably resolve itself the minute I let go. Not only letting go of what people think but also letting go of the feeling of constantly wanting to explain. Guess I still have some work to do.
Until then I am going to enjoy my sweet little squeak toy who is definitely more a toddler than a baby, with all the fickleness and attitude that comes with it. And remind myself that even with all of these throat scopes and ENT visits and awful stares... I would not change a thing about my sweet baby coop.

1 comment:

Kate @ The Fetching Life said...

I'm so glad you didn't have to go through the scope! And if it makes you feel any better, my brother had seven sets of tubes in his life and I had four. I very much remember the process and the worst part was the gas they gave us to go to sleep, they always said it would taste like chocolate, and it never did. Very disappointing stuff when you are six! I'm sure your tough guy will have no problems! :)