Friday, August 26, 2011

The best classroom family...

There are a million things I have missed blogging about... Cooper got his 7th? (I may have lost count) postcard in New York, he is walking-ish, talking and throwing 3 year old fits, not to mention Rick and I celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary (we lost count on that, too!). But tonight with tragedy weighing heavy on my heart I must blog about my classroom family.

I should've met my co-teacher a million times before. She and I have crossed paths so many times its a little bit ridiculous we didn't meet. Between VCU, common friends and even hanging out with her brother a few times, it just didn't make sense why we kept missing each other.

So when we did finally get together, we instantly realized it was a relationship long overdue. We brought (and still bring) the best out of each other and with that we have brought out the best in every single kid in our class. We have had (as you have previously read) one of the best years a teacher could ever ask for.

All year we have questioned why it took us so long to meet. What is it about our kids that have touched us more deeply than any other group of students? What is it about us that has touched this group more than any other teacher?

For a long time I thought it was the success in our diaper drive. We exposed a group of families to economic difficulties they may not have been exposed to and the beauty of making a difference. But that wasn't it at all...

Last night, a father of one of our students was hit on his bicycle by a truck. He is finally stable but has a long recovery and we aren't even sure the details of that recovery after such serious brain trauma. Every bone in his face was broken along with many others in his body. A part of his skull was removed to make room for brain swelling.

In the face of tragedy I can safely say, this is what it was about. We were being prepared to come together for this family. This is the true test of why it took us so long to meet, why we have spent 12 months touching each other and creating the deepest bond I have ever felt in a classroom family.

So here we are, ready for the next challenge. We are a family and we will get through this. We will face this tragedy and not only come out of it stronger, but better because of it. And I will continue to trust that everything happens for a reason.

No comments: