Friday, July 8, 2011

chitown... a best friend tribute.

So as you probably remember, my best friend, Shannon (who also happened to be my maid of honor and happens to be Cooper's godmother) moved to Chicago shortly before Cooper was born. In fact, I distinctly remember endlessly praying that she would have to cancel her going away party to spend the weekend in the hospital with her newborn godson. Not so lucky as you can see...
So my wonderful best friend flew back the following weekend to visit us and meet Cooper after his birthday. In fact, she even surprised us on Christmas Eve for Cooper's Baptism and has visited us every chance she has gotten. 


To say we owed her a visit in Chitown is an understatement! We made plans for Cooper and I to have a weekend in May only to realize a few months before that it was Mother's Day weekend. Whomp....


We scheduled for us to come Memorial Day weekend, but the prices were absurd. We waited and waited and then all of a sudden it was the week before and the prices still hadn't come down. I had conceded that maybe this just wasn't going to happen. I needed a break from Richmond so bad, but it just didn't seem feasible.


Then, on the Tuesday before Memorial Day weekend, Shannon sent a text saying there was a deal running on American for $69 each way. I called Rick immediately and before I was home from work that day. Coop and I were headed to Chicago!


Of course the weather was terrible while we were there, but it didn't matter. Turns out all I needed was some one-on-one time with my best friend. I didn't realize how much I missed her until we got to spend 3 days together. We drove around the city, walked around the shops, swam in her indoor pool and even ate at the BEST Nawlins restaurant. But by far the best part was laying in our jammies, watching old reruns of Beverly Hills 90210 and talking endlessly about anything and everything all over a bottle (or 2) of wine. 


It was a wonderful weekend. Cooper even knocked Illinois off his state list and added a 5th postcard to his travel box!


I hope everyone is lucky enough to have a friend like Shannon.


Shannon and Coop in Chicago
One of my most favorite pictures. 
Right before this, Shannon asked if she would be my maid of honor (This was at least a year before I met my husband!)

No comments: