Monday, March 28, 2011

Savor The Season!

We are going on about day 10 of no sleep (we did have one 8-hour day in there, but that was 5 days ago). We are talking 45 minutes max and about 2 hours in the no rule zone (as in sleeping on the couch with baby in hopes that by breaking one simple rule you won't kill you husband the next day- or visa versa...yeah about that..)

We had plenty to keep us distracted with the NCAA tournament but today was the true test. Back to school on no sleep (if only that could be an exaggeration!).
Utterly exhausted doesn't cover it. It was one of those days that I was happy to take a break from my fussy child and hang out with my 4 and 5 year olds that can usually figure out what's upsetting them.

So I get home with ambitious thoughts about breaking our cycle of exhaustion. Until the inconsolable crying sets in. Again. It feels like we have a newborn again.

We finally give up on feeding Coop dinner. We try a bottle, tylenol,
Sophie, orejel, cold teethers, teddy, lovie, mommy, daddy and nothing is working. Check his temp 98.6. Are you sensing my frustration yet?


And then I give up. Rub his back, tell myself I've tried everything and try to stay mellow because he is feeding off my energy. I take a bite of my pizza (frozen kind since no one has gotten sleep, not even Fletch) and it tastes like cardboard.

I lost it. The flood gates opened, full on crocodile tears start pouring out. My pizza tasted like cardboard and I lost it. Emotionally spent, patience drained, so done. Super mom turned super sob.

And while I'm losing it, I don't even realize Coop has stopped crying and is passed out and I mean PASSED OUT on my shoulder.


Its so beyond bedtime... Its bedtime 10 days late. I grab my Southern Living that came in the mail so I can peel that ugly paper cover that comes on it so it will be all ready for me tomorrow (with that giant bottle of wine).


I pull the paper off to see its beautiful Spring cover and its yummy brunch spread with delicious ham biscuits and orange juice cocktails. And I smile. How ridiculous!


Ahhh thank you Southern Living for showing up with impeccable timing. I will savor the season and the extra moments to snuggle with my sweet baby, the cardboard pizza, the teething, the inconsolable crying, even the laryngomalacia. I will savor everything because I am so blessed to have it all.

No comments: