Thursday, February 27, 2014

March of Dimes - March for Babies 2014

I had the privilege of attending the March of Dimes March for Babies Kick-off brunch this morning. It was way more emotional than I expected but also so inspiring.

Many of the speakers shared their own personal experiences with their own babies in the NICU (one of which was in my first preschool class, small world right?!). They shared stories of their children being too excited to join this world, eager to meet their siblings and impatient to know what this world would be like.

My story is a little different in that Griffin was happy in my belly. It was my body that wasn't happy. And although he was still early, earlier than anyone wanted, he was still so much later than MANY babies end up being. My story isn't one of months in the NICU with lots of intervention, but today I recognized our story is no less touching, or beautiful, or worthy of sharing to inspire others to work together for stronger, healthier babies.

I am thankful for the beautiful anti-partum nurse who peeled me off my bed and let me sneak out on bedrest, 31 weeks pregnant after just finishing the conversation with my husband of what we would do if he had to choose, mommy or baby. Ya know, the conversation you should never have to have with your husband. Because she knew if I sat in that bed a second longer I would literally lose it.

I am so thankful for the research that made my son's arrival less of an emergency even in the emergency that resulted in the 3rd rescheduled c-section. Without the research and the babies who came before him, Griffin's chance may not have been as great and NOTHING about the NICU is easy.

I am so thankful for the journal the March of Dimes gave us in the NICU that got me through those first few emotional days. The one that did more than ask our baby's first smile and leave a place for his first lock of hair. But one that asked about who was present during delivery, including the neonatolgists and NICU nurses, the day he was able to have drops of breastmilk, eat without a feeding tube and the day he got off oxygen, making it feel okay and comforted that we were not the first to live through this.
Celebrating my Griffin's Birthday
Today I am feeling more charged than ever to be an Ambassador family for the March of Dimes. Us moms, start out thinking pregnancy will have its ups and downs but no one envisions going through the trials and tribulations that come with days, weeks and months of the NICU. I am excited to share our story, to show how important it is to support this cause and help many who come after our Griffin. I hope you will join me and my little Rice family. Walk with us, donate money or simply spread the word of why the March of Dimes is so important.

No comments: