Saturday, April 12, 2008

inspiration.

When I originally set up the poll about where we should live as Mr. & Mrs. Rice, it was supposed to be a comical thing, something to make our blog a little more interesting...

Funny that Richmond is winning and that is where we are headed.

The more and more we have thought about it, the more and more it seems that we are who we are because of where we come from, family AND city. Richmond is a great place to raise a family.

My dad and I were talking about Washington DC and what an amazing opportunity it has presented for kids growing up in Richmond. People in Oregon can't even fathom going to the White House or the National Zoo. I can't understand that because I have so many memories of playing frisbee on the lawn at the mall and riding the merry-go-round with the Washington Monument as the backdrop.

I was telling a coworker about visiting Jamestown, where everyone still dresses like it is a colony and about the 100-year-anniversary with the HUGE ships pulling into port. She was amazed to say the least. (I mean even the Queen of England came to celebrate!)

My dad made a comment to me that people west of the Rockies just think of themselves as a different country and it is so true. Even though the West may have a progressive view of life that is very inspiring, they don't have the history that kids are exposed to on the East Coast.

Oregon has given me a different view on Richmond. I used to be scared (for lack of better words) to move back because I didn't want to be part of the black hole of Richmond that sucks you in, but now that I am able to see Richmond from 3000 miles away and for what it really is, I see why my parents picked it and why I will pick it for my children. And for the first time, I am very excited about it.

Now for something not completely different...

My mother has inspired me.

She had this wonderful idea of opening an art studio/school for kids and has asked me sister and I to come on board.Perfect idea, too, because it combines my 2 biggest passions in life (aside from LSU football of course!)

Once she mentioned it, my wheels started turning like crazy!

So on to my next endeavor... We will be spending my first months back in Richmond figuring out all of the details.

Between my sister, my mom and I, we pretty much have it all.

This is going to be fun!

Love,
your blessed richmonders.

No comments: