Friday, February 15, 2013

Lenten Challenge: Cookies, Spinkles, Coffee, OH MY!

Day 2 - I got Coop and his nanny some cookie dough to bake cookies valentine's night. In Coop's valentine's basket he got a variety of heart/red&blue items including a tub of blue and red heart "spinkles". When I filled his basket, I got the sprinkles in hopes that he and I would bake cookies together. Coop really doesn't like eating the cookies, but he loves getting his hands dirty and eating sprinkles so this seemed like the perfect activity for us. The act of kindness wasn't getting the dough for he and his nanny, but instead giving his nanny the activity I had hoped to do with him, true bonding that I knew he would love, something that I am not usually very good at sharing.
Day 3 - I bought a guy coffee today. He was behind me in line at Starbucks and looked like he was having a not so great morning... you know as much as I could assess from my side view mirror. He may just be one of those people who doesn't smile at rest, or maybe he had a bad morning. Whatever it was, I hope his free coffee made his morning, if at least for a moment and that he was able to extend some kindness to someone else. 


But frankly, I am not sure it was him that received the kindness, though. The guy who worked at Starbucks was pretty stoked. It was interesting to watch the reactions of the 3 or 4 people working the drive-thru and line (is that what its called at a coffee bar??). It seemed they were the true recipients of my $4.00 act of kindness. They seemed to smile a little brighter, too. I think the best part was watching the kindness move in a direction I didn't expect. I thought I was impacting the guy in the car behind me, but it was the staff that seemed the most moved.

No comments: