Monday, August 2, 2010

making a house our home.

Slowly but surely our house is coming along. We have painted all 3 bedrooms, the bathroom, hallway and living room. Next up is to paint the den, including the ugly country brick. I know, I know painting brick is a very controversal topic, one in which I cannot be swayed. There is a time and place for everything. This is just not the time or place for maroon brick. Especially since we plan on using the den as our family room which means I will be looking at it EVERYDAY.

This week Rick is going to drywall the doorway from the kitchen to the nursery. Once that is completed we will be ready to paint the kitchen oyster bisque aka a light yellow!

We are waiting on the rest of our furniture in all 3 bedrooms to get those rooms a little bit organized and still seeking the perfect couch for our living room.

Considering we have only been here a week, we have done A LOT. No thanks to me, though. My swelling has been so bad, I have been trying to stay off my feet as much as possible AND I have a sinus infection that showed up a couple of days ago. So let me rephrase that, Rick and his mom have gotten a LOT done in the week we have been here, both in our house and in our apartment (our keys were due yesterday).

Our long-term to-do list... oh boy is this list long!
  • Reface our cabinets. We plan to keep them white to go with our cottage style, but they need new doors and some painting on the interior as well.
  • Install stainless steel appliances, including a refrigerator. I really want a fridge that has 2 doors with the freezer as a drawer on the bottom.
  • Remove the ugly vintage light in the den. (Check out the pictures). Must be done by an electrician or else it would already be done.
  • Landscaping, landscaping and more landscaping. There are some dead bushes that have seen their last day and just need to go. Not to mention our backyard is not completely level. Plus those ugly holly bushes I have been complaining about since our first showing. We do however have a beautiful crepe myrtle in the front yard that blocks the bathroom window, which I LOVE!
  • Purchase patio furniture. I would love to have a dining table on the patio so we can eat outside on these nice cool evenings. Especially since Rick plans on grilling every meal possible.
  • Rip up that bathroom. Oh boy does it need some love. The tiles are the orginial tiles when the house was built in 1955. They are pink and white and soooo outdated. Everytime I walk in the bathroom I cringe. But hey, just ammunition to keep me excited about DIYing! (Even the ugly bathroom can't shake my optimisim!)
  • Add a deck, fire pit, horseshoe pit, etc. -- This is obviously my ambitious husband. But hey, he entertains my ideas like getting rid of doorways, so I will happily entertain his ideas, most of which he can do himself since he is so handy, so doing them cheaply makes it even more feesible.
I am sure this list will lengthen as time goes on. This home definitely needs lots of updating. New coats of paint have done wonders so I am VERY optimistic it can be done and quite honestly we really wanted a house that needed our love!

Slowly but surely we will make this house our home.

Can't wait to make some more headway so I can share some updated pictures. But until then, due to our stolen borrowed internet, you will have to check facebook for pictures of our house since it takes forever to load them on this internet.

In the meantime, I will leave you with my latest belly shot- WOWSERS!! I know, I am about to pop! 37 weeks down, 3 weeks or less to go!!

No comments: